Friday, August 24, 2012

Book Launch/Signing - Valerie Hobbs

I consider a first book signing to be a book launch of sorts – maybe not technically a book launch but you are launching your new book with a signing. Might be logical only to me.  Anyway… Here is my intereview with wonderful Val and her new book MINNIE MCCLARY SPEAKS HER MIND!  

Plus some photos from the launch/signing. I actually remembered to bring a camera.(Due to techno-twit difficulties, my photos are not working out. They keep coming out sideways even tho they weren't taken that way!) I hope to have them up soon. In the meantime, enjoy the interview.

Do you prefer a low-key type of launch/signing?  Why or why not?  Will you be doing more signings? 

I threw a party at the old Earthling for my first book many (!) years ago, and Judith and Michael Thompson put together a great launch for Letting Go Of Bobby James. . . but I've been pretty lazy about launches overall. I guess I'd rather go to somebody else's launch (especially Lee Wardlaw's!). I do think that a first book deserves a great send off. 
Nobody likes low-key signings. I once sat next to Eric Carle who signed non-stop for an hour while I drooled (in awe).
Earthling was the best book store! Any specific things you prefer to do for a book signing?  Did you have the bookmarks printed or did the publisher?

I have to do all my own cards and bookmarks. Most of us do. I generally use iprint.com. 

Your story hits on many relevant topics. Is it what you wanted to write about and planned or did it just pop out?

For some reason this guy building a helicopter in the basement got stuck in my mind--you never know where a story is going to come from. Turns out, he was Minnie McClary's uncle, a veteran of the Iraq war, trying to learn why his helicopter went down. The other issues came out of the kind of kid Minnie is and who she learns how to be. I was a little worried that I packed too much in, but I was happy to see that Bookpage and Shelf Awareness "got it".
Are you writing a sequel to SHEEP or is it done?

It's done!! Yay!! It's called WOLF and will be out next Fall. 

Do you write every day?  Any inspiring words for your fellow writers in the trenches?

I am the WORST kind of lazy writer. I don't write unless I have something driving me, a story already coming together in my mind. Which means that a lot of the time I don't write at all. I just kvetch and mope. Not very inspiring, I'm afraid. Don't do what I do! That's my best advice.
Thanks a million, Val!
Val and me - notice she is dressed like Minnie :-)

Val and Hope Slaughter-Bryant - writer pals

Val and Maddie (Gwen's dog)

Maddie came to celebrate the launch of Minnie. She also had her eye on a stuffed bear close by!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Angela,
    Thanks for spotlighting Val. She's marveloso.
    And best of luck with photo fun.

    ReplyDelete