Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Writing Exercise Wednesday #51

Down to the final 2 writing exercises. Not sure what I'll do with the blog, if anything. Maybe use it for SCBWI events going on. Anyway, today's is a fun one. But what other kind is there?! :-D

WEW #51

Prompt: 
Below are great first lines from books. You can use it as a first line or last line or even just a jumping off point. I ended up using 2 of them and wrote 2 exercises. Go to it!

"The woods were silent, other than the screaming." The Game of Sunken Places by M.T. Anderson

"Our toilet broke on the day of the night that changed my life, and it nearly ruined everything." A Heart Divided by Cherie Bennett and Jeff Gottesfeld

"The ghost stood on the church stairs, watching, waiting, for Catherine." The Presence by Eve Bunting

"'So...do you think the school will make me give back the tiara?” I asked my best friend, Mina." High School Bites by Liza Conrad

"She never says good-bye and so I never know when she'll be gone." The Window by Michael Dorris

"When the doorbell rings at three in the morning, it's never good news." Stormbreaker by Anthony Horowitz

Result:

    The doorbell woke me up. The digital read three o’clock. In the morning.
    Noises down the hall were my parents, mostly grumbling and something about getting the bat.
    I hopped out of bed, snuck out quietly and followed Dad down the stairs.
    He flicked on the light. I froze, blinded. I squinted at him.
    Dad crossed his arms and shook his head at me.
    “What?” I asked.
    “Get down here.”
    I scurried next to him or mostly behind him as he grabbed the door handle.
    He cracked the door, then threw it wide open.
    “Jake,” Dad whispered.
    Jake smiled. “Dad.”
    I ran out from behind Dad and grabbed my brother around the middle so hard. I would never let go. “You’re home.”
    I heard sobbing. We turned and Mom collapsed on the stairs, tears running away.
    When the doorbell rings at three in the morning, it’s never good news. Except tonight it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment