Friday, September 5, 2014

An Actual Writing Exercise!

It's been so long since the last writing exercise. Life has a way of taking over sometimes. I had tried an exercise a few weeks ago and it was horrible.
Today, I decided to look up great first lines and have used that as a jumping off point for another writing exercise. It worked. Didn't take long, which is so helpful these days. Hope you'll join in wherever you are. I've found some good ones! 

Prompts:

“All happy families are alike; each unhappy family is unhappy in its own way.”
Anna Karenina, Tolstoy

“It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen.”
Nineteen Eight-Four, Orwell

“The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there.”
The Go-Between, Hartley

“I am a camera with its shutter open, quite passive, recording, not thinking.”
Good-bye to Berlin, Isherwood

Result:

I am a camera with its shutter open, quite passive, recording, not thinking. Or so they presume. They think I don’t see. But I do. And hear. All stored on my hard drive. Forever.
One day they will regret the things they do to me. Everything they say to me. Agreeing no one is inside my shell of a body. “Lights aren’t on and nobody is home,” they laugh.
Soon. I have to believe that one day soon I will exact my step by step by step revenge. They’ll never see it coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment