Sunday, June 17, 2018

Book Review: The Haunting of Falcon House by Eugene Yelchin


I loved this book. That’s the first thought I had when I read the last word. How complete and satisfying.

First of all, where have I been? This book was published in 2016. How could I have missed it? Of course, we all have those giant TBR piles and that’s the only explanation I can come up with. Well, and 2016 was a difficult year, so there ya go.

There are really great reviews printed in the first few pages of this book and I’d love to post them all here since they did a great job. But, I will do it myself – sigh – and hopefully encourage you to pick it up.

Here is what the publisher says:
A long undisturbed bedroom. A startling likeness. A mysterious friend.
When twelve-year-old Prince Lev Lvov goes to live with his aunt at Falcon House, he takes his rightful place as heir to the Lvov family estate. Prince Lev dreams of becoming a hero of Russia like his great ancestors. But he'll discover that dark secrets haunt this house. Prince Lev is the only one who can set them free―will he be the hero his family needs?
From Eugene Yelchin, the author and illustrator of Arcady's Goal and the Newbery Award-winning Breaking Stalin's Nose, comes The Haunting of Falcon House, an illustrated middle grade story that'll both haunt readers and leave them knowing a little bit more about Russian history.
This title has Common Core connections.



















This story is engaging in every way – the setting, characters, action, plot. I was taken on a ride of mystery, friendship, Russian history and the pain of facing the truth. The illustrations are disturbing, adding to the creepiness and intrigue.

What I treasure about this book is that it is different and unique, which isn’t always easy to find. Everything Prince Lev felt and saw, I did too. It was like I was transported right into Falcon House. Definitely worth the trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment